Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Fire Alarms, Shark Scares, and Locked in a WalMart

We went on vacation last week.

It was fabulous!!!

We went to Myrtle Beach and Charleston, South Carolina (I'd REALLY like to move to Charleston and live there forever and ever. I loved-loved-loved it!)

Day 1
On our drive down to Myrtle Beach, all 10 hours of it, our sweet baby cried. and cried. and cried some more. Luckily Jayda watched movies and Russ and I drank yummy Sonic Burger drinks so we survived!

Day 2
First thing in the morning, Bella pulled the fire alarm at the resort. It had to be evacuated. The fire department came. It was hilarious. Or I should say NOW it is hilarious. At the time it was total crap. Mothers were running down the stairs holding their babies and workers were dropping their duties to flee. As we drove away from the hotel we passed the fire truck. Russ just looked straight ahead and said "just act natural." Good times.

Our time in Myrtle Beach was filled with relaxing beach trips and fun at the kiddie pool at the hotel. Jayda had a FABULOUS time and although I thought the hotel was pretty ghetto...Jayda thought it was the coolest place ever so we were all happy!

In the evening we went and saw some exotic animals. I was able to cross an item off my bucket list and play with a monkey! We all got to hold the monkey and I got to hold a baby tiger. It was pretty great. I was nervous that one of my children would get attacked (I've seen how some of those home videos end!!), but the little critters were as sweet as pie!

Day 3
As we were making breakfast in the morning (our hotel had a small kitchen) Bella was playing with Russ' phone. I heard her talking as she normally does...but this time I heard someone talking back. She'd called 911. Really? Two times in two days? Parents of the year!

We went to the beach mid-day and were playing in the water when we heard the life guard blow her whistle (side bar...the life guards were hotter than the chicks from Baywatch. it was disgusting. It made me want to add "acquire eating disorder" to my to-do list! they were like gorgeous freaks of nature...not that my mom bathing suit isn't sexy!) okay...back to the whistle...there were SHARKS! Everyone had to get out of the water. Or I guess I should say everyone in a 10 yard radius had to be evacuated, but they let people further away stay in and play in the waves. Apparently sharks can't swim more than a few yards?? Needless to say...we left.

That night there was an amazing storm that had the coolest lightning bolts and deafening thunder...it provided us with quite a show from our balcony!

Day 4
We got up early to go to the beach one last time and then headed to Charleston. The baby cried almost the entire 2.5 hr drive...again. We had sonic burger drinks...again. It was a tad bit of deja vu.

Once we got to our hotel (and after switching rooms so we could have two connecting rooms instead of being crammed into one) we ate at the famous Hymans Seafood Restaurant. It was a recommendation from some friends...and it was AMAZING! I had to fight Jayda for the crab dip! So yummy!

We also walked down the historic district and drooled over the old mansions. If you've never been...GO! (but do it without the kids. Kids kinda suck in Charleston).

Day 5
On Wednesday we visited the USS Yorktown which was an air craft carrier throughout WWII and played a major role in several battles. We got to take a cool tour of the ship and Russ was in heaven.

We went to a plantation, but didn't get to see much of it. Although we tried to take the house tour, see the slave quarters, and go on a carriage ride...the kiddos were just too hot and tired and wouldn't cooperate. So we left and went to lunch.

We waited in line for an hour to eat at the famous Jestines! It was worth the wait. If you go...just order the fried chicken and don't waste your time on anything else. It was pretty delicious.

We ended the day with a horse drawn carriage tour around the historic part of Charleston. I should say I ended the day on a horse drawn carriage. Poor Russ had to walk beside the darn thing carrying our crying baby.

Day 6
We left to drive home (13.5 freaking hours) and realized we had to stop to buy some diapers. We stopped at a Walmart. 5 minutes into our shopping all the lights went off in the entire store. It the darkness we could hear employees telling all customers to move to the front of the store. We walked up front and realized that since the power went out...the doors were all locked and we were stuck inside. Although it only lasted about 10 minutes, it was quite hilarious to see some of the people get panicky and start to claw and pull at the doors. Plus, it was a nice cake topper to our vacation!

Although we had a few bumps in the road and a few "oy veys" over our kids...the vacation was amazing. I will always picture Russ playing with his girls in the water. I'll always remember holding Jayda on my lap while the waves rolled over our legs. I'll always remember Bella pulling the fire alarm and the look that Russ and I gave each other. The memories will be sweet. We had a great time and cannot wait for our next adventure!

Here's to trouble making kids, worn out parents, over priced hotels, 25 pee stops, and some of my favorite family memories to date.

Oh and god bless my mom and dad who took us on family vacations before the time of i-pods and dvd players. You are a much stronger breed of parents. I'm not sure how you managed to survive let alone provide us with so much fun and memories! I would have slit my throat.


This is what your baby looks like when you forget to lock the
bottom buckle on your long drive to South Carolina.

This is what your kid looks like when she's bored out of her mind.

This was probably my favorite part of the trip! I'd really like to buy a monkey. I know they throw poop and everything...but I'm pretty sure it'd be worth it.


Walking along the historic part of Charleston, South Carolina. Can you believe I didn't take any pictures of the homes there? I'm such a loser. I was drooling the entire time-the homes are BEAUTIFUL. I did, however, grab a quick snapshot of my buggers alseep in the buggy. This was the only quite time Russ and I had for 5 straight days. It was magnificant babe...very romantic!

This was on the air craft carrier. Russ was really in his element. I, on the other hand, would have preferred to be shopping, or driving, or sleeping, or...that's why he calls me a "Commie" (as in Communist. I prefer Shopertunist).Family pic at the plantation.Here I am trying to act happy. I'd wanted to go to a cool plantation for ages, but didn't get to see much of it becuase of the little energy-suckers with me in the below picture. Man those critters are HIGH MAITENANCE (yes dear, I know they're just like me).

Viva Vacations!!


Darbee said...

I LOVE your blog! You make me smile and laugh and cry all in the same post. I think I just miss you! ;)
I'm glad you guys had a nice... well, MeMoRaBLe time! ;)

Erin said...

Okay, I'm just now able to wipe the tears from my eyes from laughing so hard. This is hilarious!!! My brother once pushed the fire alarm button in a 17-story building elevator with my Dad. It was a Saturday and hardly anyone else was there so it was really obvious who the culprit was. My brother has never forgotten that.